It’s much easier to play a game when you know the rules so you can avoid mistakes that may keep you from winning. Homeownership isn’t a game but there are some rules that will protect your investment and increase your enjoyment.
Most people want a home of their own to raise their family, share with their friends and to feel safe and secure. In most cases, it is also their largest asset. These suggestions can help protect your investment and make homeownership more enjoyable.
- Don’t overpay for your home
- Maintain your home to protect its value
- Minimize your assessed value to lower property taxes
- Make extra mortgage principal payments to save interest and build equity
- Validate the insured value of improvements and contents
- Be aware of current surrounding property values
- Make mortgage interest payments deductible
- Invest in capital improvements that increase market value
- Don’t over-improve compared to the prevailing value of similar properties in the neighborhood
- Keep records of capital improvement & other maintenance
I’d like to be your personal source of real estate information and I’m committed to helping from purchase to sale and all the years in between. If you need help with any of the items mentioned in this article or a recommendation for a service provider, it would be my pleasure to help.